Software Engineering Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar

+12
atro_rob
glad011
Kristine Largosa
AdrianDBorja
ar-r
tridescarf
p1d
AngelieG
odee2004
cliff2ns
voomer
AMadz
16 posters

Go down

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Empty ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar

Post by AMadz Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Post your reactions here on the March 10, Entrepreneur Seminar.
AMadz
AMadz

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-05

http://usccompe.net.ph/apmaderazo

Back to top Go down

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Empty Re: ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar

Post by voomer Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 am

Robert Abarabar III
BSCOMPE-DSD 5

Entrepreneurship is the key to success for some people in the whole world namely businessmen. Many of us or young people like students don’t want to go into entrepreneurship. All we thought of is what our parents told us from the start that is to finish studying to be able to find a good job in the future. Education is important for us but we had never been taught by our parents that entrepreneurship can also be an alternative for employment. They thought of entrepreneurship as a sideline for income and it’s true. Parents probably don’t want their child to go into entrepreneurship at an early age for the reason that the child might lose his/her willingness to finish studying.

The seminar being conducted by the ME/IE Department for Entrepreneurship with Engr. Ernesto G. Yap, as the speaker, was helpful to put some inputs for our young minds to enter into entrepreneurship. The seminar opened up our young minds for entrepreneurship as alternative to employment, be aware of the critical factors when pursuing entrepreneurship, jumpstart for those who will engage in entrepreneurship and assess themselves to be successful small business managers and their prospective ideas and the major obstacles when starting a business.

The seminar also allowed us to have some information about the essentials of businesses which is to offer a product or service that is distinct from others, marketing consideration such as prices based on market capacity, human resource management to make the business successful, and finance because all businesses needs capital.

voomer

Male Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by cliff2ns Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Life is a journey of different paths. This is what i have learned in the Entrepreneurship seminar.

Having been conducted by the ME/IE Department, I was sure enough that the seminar will be most helpful in extending my view of the future. The speaker, Engr. Yap, spoke of things that elude most of the starting entrepreneurs. He spoke of the small things in business that creates a big impact in the long run, impact that may judge the growth of a business. He also talked about ideas that can potentially lead to a good opportunity and success.

The seminar didn't offer a single path towards success, it offered different career plans that fresh graduates can venture. It implies that success can be found everywhere, not just in a specific field. It also suggest that success is a matter of questioning how to do things. In the long run, it is not employment that stands out as the best goal, rather it is having your own business.

What struck me most was when Engr. Yap said that it is easy to start up an idea, the hard thing is to make it grow.

Cliffton A. Ongluico

Last edited by cliff2ns on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

cliff2ns

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by odee2004 Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Rodrigo C. Talingting Jr.

The "Entrepreneurship" seminar was held last March 10, 2010 at the Rigney Hall of the University of
San Carlos, Talamban, Cebu City. The seminar was headed by the Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering
and the Community Extension Service of the University. The speaker was Engr. Ernesto Yap.

The speaker talked about being an entrepreneur as a better alternative to being employed. That having
a business gives you a more dynamic income compare to the constant income employed professionals. Though

having a job gives you a more stable income it is lower compare to owning your own business. While having your

own business gives you a more dynamic - up and down income, the return is definitely higher, if the business

is doing good.

Another point that he mentioned was that being an entrepreneur gives you more control of your

ownbusiness. Being your own boss. While being employed has a low (if you have a higher position) to zero

control of the company. That being said makes being an entrepreneur a way better alternative than being

employed by a company.

He also mentioned three setbacks of starting a business. First in his own personal list was that to

start a new business you need to have a product or service to sell. He said it is one of the main reasons

people shy away from forming a business is because a lack of product idea.

Second on his list was that if you already have a product idea then who will implement or sell that

product.

And finally problem in getting the capital for the new business. He said that getting a capital is not

really a problem so long as you have a very good idea and that you can back it up to a potential financier. He

also said that there are so many rich people here in Cebu to ask for financial backing as long as you can

prove to them that you are reliable.

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Dsc00212
odee2004
odee2004

Male Number of posts : 9

http://prosedatabase.freefronthost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelieG Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 am

Giangan, Angelie M.

Entrepreneur Seminar

The seminar was about “Entrepreneur”, presented by Engr. Ernesto Yap from the Department of Industrial Engineering and other Mechanical Engineering instructor. The speaker talked about the advantage of being an entrepreneur than being dependent on our salaries that we constantly receive.
Entrepreneurship is often difficult and tricky, resulting in many new ventures failing but it really depends on how you handle the situation. An entrepreneur may be driven by a need to create something new or build something tangible. An entrepreneur has the greatest chance of success by focusing on a market niche either too small or too new to have been noticed by established businesses.
For some beginner entrepreneurs they used to ask who started unique businesses to tell something about what motivated them to launch, how they did it. Such questions ask on ourselves is one of the good part of planning.
The seminar will be a big help for those students who wanted to become an entrepreneur in the future for the tips given were really an encouraging one taken from the experts. The different that will be helpful as mentioned are from the planning part down to the implementation or performing it in business. And also it has mentioned in the seminar about the capital which seemed to be the huge factor in putting up a business because it determines the type or level of business that you will be conducting, it was mentioned that looking for capital is not a problem as long as you got a excellent idea.

AngelieG

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by p1d Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:36 am

Jayag, Alfred Ray D.
BSCOMPE 5

The seminar that we joined is indeed a surprise! but before that it was held March 10, 2010 by Engr. Ernesto Yap, a teacher of the University of San Carlos. The seminar was more on how to start a business since that is the hardest or intimidating part that usually leads people not to proceed. He showed us the income of a very simple business, and indeed I was surprise with the presentation. What knowledge was needed to start a business and finally the attitude of an entrepreneur.

The few first slides that really caught my attention is the cost and income of a banana queue vendor, siomai and roast chicken. That would really make you think, it is indeed high. he showed us how the materials and ingredients would cost, the labor and the product, and in one month with an average sales, it shows that it is way above the minimum wage. Next, he ask us what knowledge is required in order to start a business. Again the answer surprise me! Their is no special knowledge we had to posses for us to start a business, it that really matters is the common sense. Although he said common sense seem to be rare these days, well somehow it seem to have some truths in his word. The next requirement would be the attitude of how to be an entrepreneur. Well, it only requires our interest, dedication and time. A business cannot be successful if we are not interested in it. Of course that is very true, enthusiasm is very necessary for you to succeed of whatever you do. We had to give our dedication and time to it or else we had to have a very reliable people to run it if we can't which is somehow very difficult to achieve. Lastly, to start a successful business is to have a unique idea, that would separate your product from the other competitor, something that cannot be copied or difficult to duplicate so that the product that you sell even if it is a little common can only be found in you alone.

Finally on the end of his story, he shared us his interview with the cotton candy vendor outside TC. One day he ask how much he earned on that small business of his and the vendor smiled and said that it is about 600 a day and if you add it up it is about 12000 a month! He thinks that the smile seem to tell him that the vendor would say, "look I'm just a vendor but my wage is somewhat close to your pay" or something like that. And that's it, his final words said, if you had idea or wanted to start something he showed in his final slide that all you had to do is "JUST DO IT" but without usual check-mark.
p1d
p1d

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Empty COME 522 - Entrepreneurship

Post by tridescarf Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 am

Imperial, Thairell C. BSCOMPE - 5
COME 522 Monday 1:30 - 4:30

The seminar conducted was entitled "Entrepreneurship", with Engr. Ernesto G. Yap as the guest speaker both in the morning and afternoon sessions. One of the topics he discussed was about how to start a new business with only a minimal capital and with a little twist of imagination in the head. No matter how simple the business can be, if we just open our minds, great businesses can come out from those simple ones. Being an entrepreneur, as Engr. Yap has said, is really hard for some first timers. It needs preparation, willingness, and the most important one, time. Probably the first attempts may result in a failure, but as time goes on, and the experience increasing through self-motivation, that business will sure rise of its own feet. Though being an entrepreneur has a minor setback, it can still be compensated if you back yourself up with the necessary equipments. One thing is the creation of new products that is unique to other competitors. If I want to start a business, I can start from something small, and try to sell things out in the casual way. As what Engr. Yap has told us, start small, and with proper management on our sides, big profits will come our way. I even had a chance to ask Engr. Yap during the forum if what possible business can we start here in our place knowing that the country is experiencing economic crisis. He answered the question pinpointing to agriculture. Nowadays, people tend not to mingle with agriculture because many are aiming for white-collared jobs, just being an employee to another persons business. Though salaries are probably high, but still you can never escape the fact that your an employee. Agriculture on the other hand has many opportunities that has yet to be discovered, one example is that the only mangoes here in the Philippines exported to other countries came from Guimaras, because the people from that place discovered how to eliminate the black pigments found on the mangoes skin. That's why I asked myself why isn't there any courses offered specifically on agriculture. Probably if I had the money and interest to pursue agriculture, I might find new ways of mass producing rice with the best quality. Hindrances can come our way, especially when family members drags the business down. That's why as much as possible, family members should have a minimal amount of interruption on businesses.

Engr. Yap's words was very inspiring to all of us, and we are lucky that we attended the seminar. He said that many might not become successful employees, but hopefully, they will turn out as successful entrepreneurs. The last slide Engr. Yap has shown us really moved me, and it says "JUST DO IT!". Oh yeah, JUST DO IT!!

tridescarf

Registration date : 2009-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ar-r Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Arnold V. Roso
BSCOMPE - 5

The seminar for Entrepreneurship was being conducted by the ME/IE Department. Engr. Ernesto G. Yap which was the speaker. When Engr. Yap started to talk about being an entrepreneur many things came up in my mind. I started to ask my self about what will happen to me after college. I come up to realize, somehow that being an entrepreneur is one of the good steps towards survival. . A good way to achieve this would be by using your technical knowledge and skills, together with knowledge about entrepreneurship, to launch your own business. Many of us would like to work for ourselves but find it difficult to decide on what type of business to start. I learned that I most consider my abilities and knowledge technically to up my own business. I should consider that my knowledge and skills are needed in the community in order to have a successful business. Someday, I can produce something or provide a service that I can sell. I maybe young but I can be an entrepreneur in the future.

ar-r

Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Empty Entrepreneurship - Adrian Borja

Post by AdrianDBorja Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:29 am

Adrian Borja
BS CompE SE 5

Entrepreneurship is the practice of enterprising or owning either partly or wholly, a business and having an active participation on how it’s being run. The speakers on the seminar where most of which were Industrial Engineering faculty, emphasized that entrepreneurship is the way to go, to escape from the culture of poverty that is all too familiar among Filipinos.

Compared to employment, where a person receives a monthly salary while doing the task he is given and while without asking questions, entrepreneurship is the opposite in which the person in question is the one who offer jobs, who gives salaries, and have the say in the operations of the business. Such difference is a clear indication that when you enterprise, you are in control.

It is even more asserted, that by being an employee for the rest of your life will not get you out of poverty or let you fulfill your dreams. Since, as what the presenter’s calculations, working for 10 years with about the average salary and a decent savings rate will not let you pay even half your housing loans. How much more if you add a car and some furniture, worse, you have a family to feed and children to send to school. By being an employee forever, a person is limited or constrained to the salary he is given and will never have the chance to surpass his superiors who may also be just receiving a more decent wage.

That being said, setting up a business sometime in the future or after working for a few years is not just an option but a necessity. Although entrepreneurship comes with its own risks, the rewards are still far better than being an employee. But of course, there are also things to consider when setting up business since there are many startup companies who have failed because they did not do sufficient market research or were simply outdated.

When we have to calculate the risks and gains, entrepreneurship is always the logical choice.
AdrianDBorja
AdrianDBorja

Male Number of posts : 11

http://theseventhshadow.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristine Largosa Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 am

Entrepreneurship Seminar

A good friend once told me that you can never go wrong with working or being employed, but one sure thing about it is that, it can’t get you a life of luxury like everyone of us would want to have for a living. The thought didn’t really go down to my comprehension until I had a good chance of attending an entrepreneurship seminar last March 10, 2010 at the USC-TC Rigney Hall facilitated by the ME/IE Department.

It was Engr. Ernesto G. Yap, the first speaker, who made a substantial comparison between being an employee and entrepreneur. He was able to make good points out of it; according to him, being an employee is getting blinded of the future. You solely depend your future and your family’s to a company whom even your bosses don’t even know where it’s leading to. It is compartmentalized, you are contained within a portion to work on, then you’re compensated and not actually caring about how much you really earn out from what you do. Talking about risks and threat, all the more employees don’t have any access to respond to or make decision in order to protect your means of living. With this, we can safely say, that in an entrepreneur’s point of view, the risk is lesser.

It doesn’t have to be some multi-million worth of investment to put up a good business; all you need is just some high degree of belief in yourself and your capacity of doing things, thirst for success and frequent discontentment that would drive you to achieve your goals. We must have a vision in life and continually venture into something because life is just a matter of taking chances. You only fail if you fail to try.
Kristine Largosa
Kristine Largosa

Female Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar Empty ComE 522 - Entrepreneur Seminar

Post by glad011 Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 am

GLADESSA BONGCARON

We had our seminar on entrepreneurship last March 10, 2009 that was brought to us by Engr. Ernesto Yap. Entrepreneurship talks about transforming innovations to economic goods, the state of being an entrepreneur. We all know that the most common type of entrepreneurship is that of starting new businesses. They say that entrepreneurship is within a firm or a large group. But it doesn’t need to be like that at all times. Sometimes it only takes one person to build a successful future through entrepreneurship. It is common to everyone that rich persons are the firsts when it comes to entrepreneurship due to their financial capabilities and their acquired knowledge through fervent studying. But it’s not always like that, even if you haven’t graduated from any course or doesn’t have any knowledge about entering business, you still can be successful. All you need is innovative thinking, perseverance and especially interest. Through that, you can build a business that can go beyond borders. It’s not that easy, but you must first start from the bottom and work your way up until you reach that ultimate goal. You must have a mindset, that whatever may happen, you still can do it.

Entrepreneurship nowadays doesn’t only speak about businesses but it extends to include social and political form of entrepreneurial activities. An entrepreneur is an individual who owns, organizes, and manages a business and, in so doing, assumes the risk of either making a profit or losing the investment. But at the log run, popular or not. You still have to do everything if you want your investment worth it.

glad011

Female Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by atro_rob Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:40 am

PEPANIA ROBERTO JR.

Last March 10, 2010 at University of San Carlos technological Center Rigney hall, the ME/IE facilitated a seminar about entrepreneurship. After I heard about it that we should attend the seminar, a question raise to my mind. Why is it that we should attend that seminar? What would be it relationship in our course? Those were the questions that hit my mind.
After hearing the speaker on that seminar which was in person of Engr. Ernesto G. Yap, I’ve learned a lot. My mind was open after hearing his talk. Engr. Yap talked about being an entrepreneur as a better alternative to being employed. That having a business gives you a more dynamic income compare to the constant income employed professionals. Though having a job gives you a more stable income it is lower compare to owning your own business. While having your own business gives you a more dynamic - up and down income, the return is definitely higher, if the business is doing well. Compared to employment, where a person receives a monthly salary while doing the task he is given and while without asking questions, entrepreneurship is the opposite in which the person in question is the one who offer jobs, who gives salaries, and have the say in the operations of the business. Such difference is a clear indication that when you enterprise, you are in control.

Engr. Yap's words were very inspiring to all of us, and we are lucky that we attended the seminar. He said that many might not become successful employees, but hopefully, they will turn out as successful entrepreneurs.

atro_rob

Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Justine Chua Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

We had a seminar on entrepreneurship last March 10, 2010. The seminar was hosted by the ME/IE department. The speaker of the seminar on entrepreneurship was one of the teachers of the ME/IE department, Engr. Ernesto Yap.
Entrepreneurship is about being innovative in your products or goods. Entrepreneurship is all about creating a new business instead of being employed from other business firms. Being entrepreneur doesn't really require you to graduate from a business course, but being business minded and creative thinking could lead you to become a successful entrepreneur.
I have learned that being an entrepreneur doesn't require the person to be rich in order start his/her own business but the main problem is the product. In order for your product to sell you must be innovative in selling your products. I have also learned that being an entrepreneur gives you a dynamic income, the income depends if your business is doing good or bad. After hearing the discussion about entrepreneurship, it inspired me to become an Entrepreneur.

Justine Chua

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by baygas1 Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Raymond Joseph Villegas

We had our seminar on entrepreneurship last March 10, 2010. The seminar was facilitated by the ME/IE Department. The speaker was Engr. Ernesto Yap of the ME/IE Department.

First, he discussed the advantages and disadvantages of Employment and Entrepreneurship. He pointed out that you don't have to be a college to be an entrepreneur. He also discussed on how to innovate your own business, how to earn easy cash with just a small budget, to be creative in your own business.

For me, being a successful entrepreneur, one must have the guts to be in your own and to take risks in order to be successful. The basis whether you must be an entrepreneur or an employed person is in with you, if you are willing to take risks, then go take a business. If you want a simple life, then go employed.

baygas1

Registration date : 2009-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetie_dhar Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Martil, Darelle G.

Entrepreneurship is the key to victory for the people who are businessmen. Many young people, such like students have hesitations in going through entrepreneurship. All we thought of is what our parents told us from the start that is to finish studying to be able to find a good job in the future. Education is important for us but we had never been taught by our parents that entrepreneurship can also be an alternative for employment. They thought of entrepreneurship as a sideline for income and it’s true. Parents probably don’t want their child to go into entrepreneurship at an early age for the reason that the child might lose his/her willingness to finish studying.

Engr. Ernesto G. Yap who was the first speaker, made a significant comparison between being an employee and entrepreneur. He was able to make good notions out of it; as what he had said, being an employee is getting blinded of the future. You’re like depending your future to a company whom even your bosses don’t even know where it’s leading to. It is compartmentalized, you are contained within a portion to work on, then you’re compensated and not actually caring about how much you really earn out from what you do. Talking about risks and threat, all the more employees don’t have any access to respond to or make decision in order to protect your means of living. With this, we can safely say, that in an entrepreneur’s point of view, the risk is lesser.

He also shared to us his interview with the cotton candy vendor outside the school. He asked how much the vendor earned on such a small business and the vendor said that it was just about 600 a day and if you add it up it is about 12000 per month. It was a shocking revelation to him, he never thought that such humble business could end earning as much as his salary as an instructor.

sweetie_dhar

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ironmack Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:12 am

PERUCHO CHURCHILL

On march 10 2010, we attended the seminar entrepreneurship of the College of engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering. The seminar started of with an invocation then the singing of the national anthem of the Philippines and then followed by the USC Hymn. After it the gave an overview of what business is and then gave the microphone to the primary speaker. The speaker for the whole day was Engr. Ernesto Yap. In his seminar he talked about many things about business. At the beginning of the seminar he talked about small business that can give large incomes. Just like Lechon manok, if a lechon manok franchise can sell 100 chicken per day, he would get a money of 16000. And if that number would be consistent for 1 month then the owner would get a net profit of 86000 pesos per month. Also on his seminar he talked about the attitudes of a business man. And he also talked about the advantage of an engineer in business than other courses like accountancy. He said on his lecture that Engineers has the advantage because, engineers are able to think technically and are trained to analytically solve problems. He also talked of ways to get funds for the business, first was to get from savings. Second is to get rich partners. Third is to borrow from family members and the last which is the funniest and true is to marry rich people.
Overall the seminar was fun, we enjoyed it. And we had so much fun attending it. Engr. Yap was also funny. And we had learning about business.

ironmack

Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down